Organization: US Institute of Peace
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: United States
Experience: Senior Level (6-10 years)
Category: Communications Technology
Application Deadline: 23. May 2021
Working in conjunction with the Senior Network Solutions Architect, the Network Administrator is responsible for supporting and maintaining all network and telecommunication systems equipment in the USIP Infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to Cisco switches, Cisco product host servers, Cisco IP/Voice technologies, and mobile device management technologies (to include Call manager, Airwatch, etc.). The Network Administrator is responsible for maintaining the USIP data center and network infrastructure active warranty inventory (Smartnet, Dell). The Network Administrator supports the Senior Expert, Cybersecurity by actively monitoring the USIP network for possible issues and/or intrusions, providing regular updates, and escalating issues as appropriate. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Information Services.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 12 – $87,000 – $90,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers of employment are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and amount budgeted for the position.
- Provides support for network equipment by ensuring that necessary procedures are in place and performing as required and coordinating system uptime.
- Provides support for Cisco system performance and enhancements.
- Maintains Cisco Smartnet network inventory and ensures Smartnet is updated for current devices and services.
- Supports data networks comprised of Cisco core and edge devices. Provides support for routine infrastructure issues related to the network.
- Provides Tier II engineering support to the USIP Helpdesk by handling all network trouble calls.
- Assists the Senior Expert, Cybersecurity with real-time monitoring of the network, especially during USIP hosted events and responding to issues identified, escalating as appropriate.
- Monitors network trends and builds reports to capture the status of network health.
- Supports the Senior Expert, Cybersecurity, and the Senior Network Solutions Architect in ongoing initiatives to better secure the network infrastructure, including contributing to the design of new networked systems to ensure that security is an utmost priority.
- Uses ticket system to document and track client issues, resolutions, and projects.
- Provides configuration and troubleshooting support for incidents related to network support.
- Assists in configuring and maintaining network-integrated Audio Visual systems and supports the AV team with network configurations to fulfill events requirements.
- Performs network configuration changes in accordance with change management processes.
- Performs root cause analysis for service interruption recovery, implementing preventative measures to deploy in the enterprise.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Network Solutions Architect, creates and maintains network documentation as it relates to network configuration, network diagrams, and processes.
- Administers all pertinent Institute standards and procedures (e.g. security and change control) as relevant to the role.
- Researches and evaluates new technology and infrastructure solutions, making recommendations as appropriate.
- Effectively interfaces with all levels of Institute staff, as well as vendors, and develops strong working relationships with stakeholders.
- Obtains and maintains professional certification in Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA), Wireless (CCNA Wireless), or Network Security (CCSP).
Performs other duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree in Business, Computer Science, or Technology or equivalent experience required.
- Six (6) years of relevant IT work experience.
- Cisco Certified Technician CCT required. Network Administrator (CCNA), Wireless (CCNA Wireless), or Network Security (CCSP) certification highly desirable.
- Recent hands-on experience supporting a server (50+) environment.
- Experience supporting an operational LAN/WAN using a variety of Cisco layer 2 and layer 3 products.
- Intermediate knowledge of Cisco Unified Communications products including Unified Communications Manager.
- Prior experience configuring Cisco UCS servers, Cisco Voice Gateways, and other infrastructure required to implement Cisco Unified Communications.
- Must have a good understanding of LAN/VLAN connectivity issues related to the design and support of data back-ups, disaster recovery, data storage, virtualization, and data protection environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment that requires team interaction and coordination of efforts.
- Candidates should be capable of presenting and white-boarding technical information.
- Must be comfortable with MS Office Applications to include MS Project and Visio.
- Must be able to create documents, spreadsheets, and detailed drawings (preferably in MS Office Suite and Visio).
- Must be available periodically during non-core business hours, including the occasional weekend, to support network and system upgrades, maintenance, and support.