Organization: SEED Madagascar
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: United Kingdom
Experience: Entry Level (No experience)
Application Deadline: 23. April 2021
An exciting and unique internship opportunity to work closely with key senior operational staff in a
respected UK international development charity; this position has strong vocational content for
anyone looking to break into the international development sector with future possibilities of
progression into roles within the UK and/or Madagascar.
The post holder will gain hands-on experience in international development, and understanding and
skills across a wide range of duties associated with programmes development, corporate
fundraising, volunteer coordination, and practical charity management.
The internship spans a minimum of six months and is remote until the team returns to SEED
Madagascar’s office in Queen’s Park, London. The diversity of activities that will be undertaken
provides training for an early-career development professional who can effectively and efficiently
deal with a comprehensive range of tasks related to the complex world of overseas development
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to:
Support the Programmes & Funding Coordinator in securing trust and foundation funding, which will
include: performing donor research; drafting, proof reading, and editing grant applications and
reports (in part or in full); and ad hoc administration relating to donor management.
Support the International Volunteer Coordinator in the running of the charity’s volunteering
programmes, which will include: researching new avenues for marketing; maintaining volunteer
databases; correspondence with volunteers and partners; and creative evaluation of materials and
resources given to volunteers.
Support the Corporate Liaison Officer to secure corporate funding, which will include: researching
potential donor companies; supporting of corporate facing marketing materials; and supporting
creation of report and proposal materials.
Support the Managing Director to ensure the smooth running of the organisation, which will include:
preparing financial reports and documentation; note taking at trustees’ meetings; supporting
development of policy and procedural documentation; building on fundraising and networking
opportunities; and supporting the recruitment process
It should be noted that the successful candidate will take on a variety of tasks outlined above. While
SEED Madagascar will make every attempt to tailor the tasks to the post-holder’s desired area of
experience, this will be balanced by the priorities of the organisation.
Desired Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- Hold or be studying towards an undergraduate degree in or relating to international
development (or have equivalent professional/experiential background)
- Knowledge and/or keen interest in development and/or conservation issues facing least developed countries such as Madagascar; previous experience living or working in a developing country would be an asset
- Knowledge and/or keen interest in at least one of SEED Madagascar’s four core areas
(community health; sustainable livelihoods; environmental conservation; and education
infrastructure); previous experience of community-based work would be an asset
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to gather and assimilate information from various sources,
compile documents (reports and proposals), and identify lessons learnt and best practice
- Sound ability to adapt material for different audiences
- Be able to conduct internet research
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be able to financially support themselves for the duration of their internship as there is no
stipend available for travel or sustenance
- Strong written English is essential, French and/or Malagasy would be an asset
- Be willing to take on mundane tasks such as scanning and photocopying where necessary
Anyone interested in applying for this position should send a CV and covering letter explaining how their skills and experience match the requirements in the job description to Mark Jacobs, Managing Director, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.