Organization: National Endowment for Democracy
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: United States
Experience: Senior Level (6-10 years)
Category: Communications Technology
Topic: Human Rights
Application Deadline: 19. June 2021
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Senior Systems Engineer II to join the Knowledge Management & IT Department. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Senior Systems Engineer II will provide engineering and second-level support primarily for Microsoft Azure, Microsoft 365, as well as other public and private cloud-based platforms and services. The position will analyze, design, and deliver solutions on these platforms. Other responsibilities include providing guidance on the architecture, engineering, and management of the public and private cloud-based services in use in the organization’s Enterprise environment.
- Orchestrate and deliver Microsoft 365 platform services across all organizational levels;
- Work with both technical and non-technical staff to architect, design, deploy, and maintain various Microsoft 365 products and services including, but not limited to: Azure AD, Exchange Online, Teams, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, InTune, etc.;
- Work with other technical staff to maintain existing VMware high-availability cluster(s);
- Capture, triage, troubleshoot, and resolve technical issues, escalating and/or engaging 3rd parties to fulfill support requirements as needed;
- Service, server, and application health monitoring, leveraging a variety of tools, to proactively respond to troubles based on alerts and notifications;
- Act as a coordination and escalation point for cloud-based product/service related incidents and problems originating from service desk tickets; perform root cause analysis as required;
- Requirements gathering for design, development and deployment of cloud-based platforms and/or products ensuring adequate resiliency;
- Act as Subject Matter Expert on public and private cloud-based products, services, support, and operations;
- Engineer the support and maintenance of large-scale production networks and systems, including the design and development of tools and scripts to assist with such maintenance;
- Integrate and/or consolidate servers and services between different business units and technologies, including the design and development of the necessary integration tools;
- Design, integrate, and maintain network services such as DNS, DHCP, SNMP, SMTP, IPSEC, SSL, VPNs, VLANs, and firewalls applications;
- Design and develop high-performance groups of servers/services for resource-intensive network applications;
- Work closely with other technical staff to ensure that backup and archiving designs and procedures are implemented and executed properly;
- Implement security policies on switching and routing hardware, firewalls, hosts, servers, services, and storage;
- Plan and coordinate system utilization, performing growth analysis and capacity planning as necessary;
- Review current systems and make technical/process recommendations for improving efficiency;
- Provide on-call technical support and advice to IT staff and users regarding operational/applications issues;
- Install and debug new and/or upgraded software or solutions;
- Troubleshoot networks, systems, services, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems;
- Develop best practices, operational procedures, and design documentation;
- Stay up to date with relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, services, and/or systems. Evaluates new technologies, and presents analysis and purchase recommendations to the Technical Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology (or related discipline ) or equivalent experience required;
- 8+ years of experience supporting IT infrastructures including servers, networks, storage systems, desktops, and laptops;
- 5 + years of experience supporting server-class hardware and software, LAN/WAN infrastructure, and enterprise systems;
- Experience architecting, deploying, supporting, and troubleshooting VMware clusters in a high availability configuration, as well as, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365 products and services;
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with business application stakeholders and infrastructure teams to ensure successful upgrades, installations or integration activities;
- Demonstrated experience with root cause analysis;
- Demonstrated experience performing client testing, server patching, and deployment assistance;
- Experience planning and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Other Qualifications:
- In-depth understanding of information systems technology to include OSI model, server-client relationships, operating systems, hardware, networks, and messaging systems;
- Must be able to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends and/or during change windows outside of normal business hours;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Strong leadership, advanced technical and analytical skills;
- Able to presents technical information to both technical and non-technical audience;
- High degree of organizational ability and initiative;
- Attention to detail; the ability to multi-task and manage complex processes;
- Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Excellent time/task management and administrative skills: organized, efficient, and versatile, able to work under pressure and time constraints;
- Function collaboratively as part of a fast-paced, organization-oriented team, performing effectively as an independent producer under broad management direction.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.