Organization: World Food Programme
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Languages: English, Spanish
Category: Communications Technology
Application Deadline: 16. May 2021
The purpose of the consultancy is to strengthen WFP Country Office capacity to support governments in developing communication strategies, plans, tools and materials using the wider catalogue of approaches under Communication with Communities.
It will focus on promoting dynamic change that may increase the impact of existing interventions pertaining to various areas of work across sectors: social protection (including school feeding programmes), nutrition, resilience, climate change and emergency preparedness and response, while ensuring that gender and protection lenses are integrated throughout the cycle.
The consultant will work as part of the Regional Social Protection and Nutrition Team.
Main areas of responsibility for the consultant’s work will include the following:
1. Support countries in choosing most appropriate communication-related approaches, strategies and tools to achieve better programme impact and strengthen people-centered approaches, including but not limited to:
- Support WFP country offices to incorporate Communication with Communities and SBCC into the second generation CSPs as required, based on specific programmatic needs.
- Work closely with Gender and Protection specialists at regional level to achieve better programme quality and integration.
- Assist country offices to assess which partners need to be brought together.
- Identify, engage, and map partners in country-level SBCC activities and strategies.
- Using available data to define problem statements, define SMART project objectives.
- Provide advice on the design and implementation of formative research to develop a comprehensive understanding of the socio-cultural context, the target audiences, the barriers to promote change through the programmes.
- Work with implementing partners and/or consultants to develop creative briefs for translating formative findings into strategies.
- Review existing strategies, plans, tools, materials and institutional arrangements at national to develop implementation plans to guide field-level activities.
- Support the development of effective strategies and plans based on evidence and tailored to address local needs and context to most actively engage communities and individuals.
- Ensure broad planning, management and M&E by involving partners towards encouraging ownership and ensuring tenable end results.
- Advise on how to improve strategies based on supervising efforts, if required.
- Document, present and disseminate lessons learned and ensure a complete hand- over of project tools & templates to be used for future similar projects.
- Contribute to evidence generation efforts, both at country and regional levels and other duties as required.
2. Support regional or country level capacity strengthening efforts
- Strengthen the capacity of WFP’s personnel and partners, including government counterparts, at country level, the consultant will support the development of training agendas, as well as planning and execution of any such capacity strengthening events.
- Building on the Regional Learning Journey on Communication with Communities and related material, the consultant will support the development of specific materials tailored at CO management to enable their strategic use for advocacy work.
- The consultant will also contribute to strengthen the regional network of CwC/SBCC specialists in collaboration with partners.
3. Contribute to the regional/global thinking around emerging fields of work.
- Community engagement, with emphasis on youth, urban programming, and programmes with migrants and people on the move. A specific roadmap based on the regional learning journey will need to be developed by the consultant in this area, in collaboration with the Programme regional team and the Country Offices.
4. Strengthen strategic partnerships with technical specialists in the field.
- Identify and handle new potential partnerships and strengthen the existing ones, while linking these capacities to specific identified country needs.
- In collaboration with Partnerships Unit and programme colleagues, identify funding opportunities to expand the CwC in the region.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University Degree in Communications, Social Sciences, Anthropology, Nutrition, International Relations or related field, or University degree with additional years of experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience implementing or advising social and behaviour change communication interventions related to nutrition, health, social protection, public policy or resilience.
- Experience implementing large-scale Communication programmes, social marketing campaigns and/or health promotion activities in public health nutrition or other relevant field;
- Experience crafting and conducting formative research, monitoring and evaluation related to social and behaviour change communication.
- Experience in public sector, private sector-related marketing and/or communication agencies is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Passionate, committed, creative person, with strong skills to engage different partners and proactively make the case for this work in the region.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, including significant expertly communication ability.
- Advocacy and networking skills with a broad range of partners including government, private sector, civil society, NGO and international collaboration
- Knowledge of formative research methods with familiarity in qualitative methods.
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office.
- Graphic design software knowledge also welcome.
- General knowledge of WFP programmes is an advantage.
- General knowledge of UN system policies would be an advantage.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team with varied strengths of nutrition and food security specialists across the region.
- Fluency in Spanish and advanced knowledge of English required (Level C). Knowledge of French would be an advantage.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position: Regional Communication with Communities/SBCC Consultant
Number of openings: 1
Based in: Panama City, Panama
Type of Contract: Consultancy
Duration: 11 months.
Only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgement