Organization: Nonviolent Peaceforce
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Application Deadline: 20. May 2021
The post holder will lead efforts to refine NP’s safeguarding and accountability approaches across its NP Philippines programme (NPP). The SAM must have a vast technical expertise and understanding on relevant national and international rules, regulations, and donor requirements concerning safeguarding and accountability. S/he will be able to translate those standards into day-to-day practices and build an infrastructure within NPP to effectuate implementing mechanisms. For this purpose the SAM will develop detailed guidance and provide ongoing technical support to field teams and partners across NPP’s portfolio to strengthen best practices, tools, and implementing strategies for safeguarding and accountability.
- Design and implement strategies to support and guidance to managers and staff ensuring that adequate Safeguarding measures are integrated into office operations, processes and programmes as outlined by the Safeguarding implementation standards and other core Safeguarding documents.
- Coordinate the implementation of NP’s Safeguarding Policy Implementation standards, ensuring managers are aware of which standards apply to their area of responsibility and facilitating a team of delegate focal points, in order to ensure Safeguarding measures are integrated into activities across all departments.
- Effectively manage an audit programme within NPP, ensuring compliance with national and international requirements and to ensure that any action plans are fed back to the global Safeguarding Manager.
- Undertake clear and strong advocacy on Safeguarding at all levels across the office, acting as an ambassador and role model for Safeguarding implementation at all times. This will involve making use of appropriate internal platforms and events (e.g. management meetings, staff inductions etc.) to raise awareness on and increase commitment to the policy.
- Deliver mandatory Safeguarding briefings, inductions and/or workshops to staff, managers and associates ensuring all are aware of what Safeguarding means for them and how to execute their specific responsibilities under the policy. Deliver on-going refresher training and induction as necessary.
- Coordinate the annual Safeguarding implementation standards self-assessment and incident reporting exercises, providing reports on outcomes and trends to the country management team.
- Focal point for coordination with staff care external provider, promoting the use of mental health tools available across all country offices.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
Education, Knowledge and Experience
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- A master’s degree or equivalent experience in a field related to humanitarian assistance and international development.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of Safeguarding and Accountability Policies, Protection programming and rights based approaches to development, with at least 5 years’ experience in protection and safeguarding programme design and implementation in fragile context settings.
- Practical and theoretical expertise in designing and managing protection programmes in at least one of NP’s areas of programme.
- Proven experience responding to and managing sensitive protection / safeguarding matters in a confidential manner.
- Experience developing safeguarding and accountability resource materials, including guidance, tools, and best practices. Experience in effectively delivering trainings, workshops and inductions.
- Experience working in fragile settings that have conflict, post-conflict, or transitional state characteristics.
Independent judgement and analytical:
- Ability to set priorities, solve problems and analyse data
- Ability to manage information with discretion
- Demonstrable conflict analysis skills, identify entry points and design prevention and protection strategies
Interpersonal and representational:
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals, motivate and provide leadership to the team and to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Solutions focused, creative problem solver
- Proven ability to build relationships with the full range of actors including government, chiefs, military, police and non-state actors
- Genuine commitment and interest in living and working at the community level
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to structure and direct work plans of national and international staff, managing conflict and maximising human resources
- Ability to address staff welfare issues maturely and discreetly
- Ability to interact confidently in English with colleagues and external contacts, to write documents and reports, and to present effectively relevant information
- Good skills in Microsoft Office applications; IT hardware skills a definite asset
Other Specialized Requirements
- This Duty Station is a complex security environment where conditions change rapidly–experience in insecure environments is essential to success in this position.
- Willingness to travel long distances by vehicle.