Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Languages: English, Other
Topic: Refugee Rights
Application Deadline: 22. January 2021
The purpose of the Regional Education Research Adviser is to provide oversight, coordination and technical direction of the The Syria Education Project “Education Research in Government-Held Areas”. This is part of FCDO’s Syria Education Programme (SEP) and aims at better understanding examples of best practices, lessons learned and scale of need in Government of Syria controlled areas, especially related to access to the non-formal education system by the most vulnerable as well as the safety and wellbeing of adolescents, youth and teachers.
The Regional Education Research Advisor will be responsible for supervising the work of three consultants to deliver work under three pillars: 1) major barriers for adolescents and youth aged 12-18 to access or re-integrate into non-formal education systems; 2) gender and education analysis, 3) the current status of inclusivity in non-formal education systems in terms of awareness, policies and practices supporting inclusion of adolescents and youth with disabilities, the replicability of existing practices, their effectiveness and efficiency in terms of value for money.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide strategic advice and technical support to the Country Offices in the region on relevant core competency or cross-cutting issues
- Support the development of country/regional core competence strategies and implementation plans, including review of MLFA
- Support and monitor country programme compliance with the Programme Policy and respective quality assurances
- Contribute to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches, with a focus on innovation and piloting
- Ensure that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the region and beyond
- Provide capacity development across Country Offices in the region and the Regional Office
- Identify and develop regional advocacy issues related to the core competence and relevant cross cutting issues
- Contribute to global programme development projects and manage regional programme development projects
- Build relationships with key stakeholders at a strategic level and represent NRC in policy and coordination fora at regional and global level and engage in fundraising
- Lead research on issues relevant to NFE, Gender and inclusion in Syria
- Carry-out and draft initial literature review analysis to provide background understanding for the research and add to contextual understanding as per details outlined in the proposal narrative.
- Manage and provide technical support to consultants contracted for the research on NFE, Gender and inclusion in Syria.
- Provide technical support to the development of research products – e.g. thematic papers and guidance notes
- Provide technical support in the design and development of learning platforms and other research related events
- Lead review meetings with key SCO staff to review research progress and set priorities
- Lead review meetings with the Research Steering Committee and relevant ethics board as relevant.
- Facilitate exchange of information and ensure regular communication between consultants and SCO teams
- Provide regular updates and briefings related to the research to MERO, SCO, FCDO and other key stakeholders
- Facilitate and support the dissemination of SCO research outputs to key stakeholders
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan
Duration: Through June 2022
Travel: up to 50%