Organization: Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Languages: English, French
Category: Program Management
Topic: Human Rights
Application Deadline: 19. April 2021
For our DCAF Brussels office, we are looking for an experienced and committed individual to be our next
Project Officer (work rate 100%)
Location: Brussels, with occasional visits to Geneva
Starting date: Upon mutual agreement
Duration: Three-year fixed term contract, with possibility of extension
You will support the implementation of an EU-funded project called the EU SSG Facility, within a team of five people. You will be responsible for the administrative, logistical and financial support of this €4m project over the next three years. You will work under the supervision of the Team Leader and be accountable to the Head of the backstopping team for this project in Geneva. You will also have to collaborate very closely with the Resource Department team in Geneva. You will liaise with the EU FPI team as well as with the key and non-key experts deployed on missions for the EU SSG Facility.
In addition, you will support the growth of the DCAF Brussels Office by developing existing projects, liaising with Geneva-based colleagues on EU developments, and increasing DCAF’s visibility with EU and other Brussels-based partners. Under the supervision of the SSR Adviser in Brussels, you will support DCAF to identify, structure and reply to EU tenders in the field of security, justice, defense and governance. You will liaise with other DCAF Field offices and advise on upcoming opportunities and new developments within the EU (mainly EEAS, FPI, INTPA and NEAR).
Specific tasks under the EU SSG Facility will include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with the European Commission on assignments and financial reporting
- Liaise with DCAF’s Geneva Office on staff and financial matters
- Draft and format documents (expert contracts, reports, etc.)
- Verify and validate all project expenditure in line with DCAF’s accounting rules
- Manage EU invoicing
- Prepare internal and external financial reports in line with DCAF and EU procedures
- Plan missions and deployments and book all local and international travel arrangements for the project team members, including flights, accommodation, ground transportation and security arrangements
Other key areas of operation:
- Monitor closely EU developments and identify criticalities and opportunities for DCAF.
- Monitor EU calls for proposals, promptly informing the relevant DCAF Departments and Field offices.
- Work with DCAF staff based in Geneva to advance DCAF’s priorities in terms of policies and projects, by providing briefs, explanations and flagging relevant opportunities.
- Assist in maintaining a regular engagement with the EU institutions, EU Member States and CSOs, development agencies and International Organisations based in Brussels.
- Assist in the organization of high-level events in Brussels and undertake administrative tasks as appropriate.
- University degree or equivalent in the field administration, management, law, international relations, economics, or social sciences.
- 5 years of relevant work experience in a similar position and previous experience on EU project management and procedures are required.
- Understanding of the EU funding cycle and tender processes would be distinct advantages.
- Experience in Security Sector Reform and Governance across EU institutions, CSDP missions, EU Delegations, or other international organisations implementing EU development and foreign policy instruments would be distinct advantages.
- Understanding of the landscape related to the CSO, development agencies and international organizations in Brussels.
- Advanced knowledge of the European Commission’s administrative and financial procedures
- Excellent written and communication skills in English and French. Additional languages are an asset.
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise work
- Very good knowledge of MS Office
- A valid work permit of one of the EU/EEA countries
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
- an employment contract under Belgian employment law with a benefits package (meal vouchers, 13th month salary, group & hospitalisation insurance, public transport reimbursement, 20 days legal holiday entitlement per year plus additional days when DCAF is closed during the Christmas-New Year period).
- This position will give you the opportunity to gain valuable skills, training and experience in a multidisciplinary setting. DCAF offers training programmes for all staff to develop the necessary skills for their position.
NOTE: In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the work at DCAF Brussels office is currently mostly organised remotely. This will change depending on the development of the pandemic and rules in Belgium.