Organization: Kids in Need of Defense
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: United States
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Languages: English, Spanish
Topic: Human Rights
Application Deadline: 9. July 2021
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. Since 2008, KIND has accepted over 23,000 referrals of children seeking legal representation in their immigration proceedings. KIND has welcomed more than 41,000 attendees to trainings since its founding, cultivating partnerships with over 670 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
KIND seeks a full-time Program Assistant at its Seattle field office to conduct know-your-rights (KYR) presentations and comprehensive legal intakes to detained children; make referrals to legal service providers on behalf of children released to other jurisdictions; manage and perform data entry; open case files and assist with case preparation for direct representation of clients; assist with pro bono placement and related duties; and assist with the overall administrative duties of the office.
- Conduct know-your-rights presentations and legal intakes with detained children (in Office of Refugee Resettlement custody);
- Track arrivals and discharges to ensure all detained children receive Know Your Rights presentations, intakes, and referrals within required timeframes;
- Manage data entry using KIND’s case management and file maintenance systems for children served;
- Make timely referrals to legal service providers on behalf of detained children released to a sponsor in other jurisdictions;
- Prepare a comprehensive set of documents based on intakes for use by the KIND Staff and Pro Bono Attorneys;
- Assist with case preparation for direct representation of clients;
- Prepare pro bono placement packets and assist with duties relating to pro bono support;
- Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court dates and assist with court preparation for children;
- Assist with office administrative duties including processing daily mail; maintaining office calendar; case closings; and overseeing additional administrative tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Fluency in Spanish required
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma
- Experience conducting intakes
- Experience with office organization and management, particularly in legal settings
- A strong record of cultural sensitivity and cross-cultural communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers
- Experience in data management
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience or familiarity with immigration and/or family law and immigration authorities