Organization: DAI Global
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Senior Level (6-10 years)
Languages: English, Other
Category: Program Management
Application Deadline: 18. June 2021
DAI seeks a highly organized and capable Private Sector Associate or Manager with excellent communication skills to support its USAID Responsible Investment and Trade Activity (the Activity) in the areas of corporate governance, finance and control, corporate accountability through civil society and media, private sector advocacy, trade promotion and facilitation, and investment support across a variety of sectors and geographies in Myanmar. The Private Sector Associate or Manager should have an interest in and willing to work across many functional areas and sectors, including agribusiness, agriculture, aquaculture, renewable energy, textiles, financial services, and/or international trade. The Private Sector Associate or Manager will serve as the Activity’s agribusiness, agriculture, and aquaculture technical resource in all of its work.
The Activity aims to promote private sector civilian ownership of the Myanmar economy by increasing the share held by responsible, accountable, and transparent firms. It engages international and domestic private sector firms and civil society actors across multiple sectors to facilitate investment, trade, and business partnerships, and to strengthen regional economic integration, and improve business accountability, transparency, and competitiveness in Myanmar.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Based in Yangon, the Private Sector Associate or Manager will work within a team of approximately 28 professionals and will assist in or will lead in the following tasks within or across sectors:
Thematic Area 1: Responsible Investment Support
- Coordinate with potential investors and work with them to facilitate investment into Myanmar companies.
- Support structuring and monitoring of transactions that bring new investment.
- Engage with business advisory service providers to provide support in identifying and developing investment strategies for local firms aligned with investors’ interests.
- Serve as the Activity’s technical resource, support and sometimes lead on agribusiness, agriculture, and aquaculture investment support.
Thematic Area 2: Trade Promotion and Facilitation
- Work with a wide range of private sector companies across a variety of sectors for their potential to increase their sales and/or exports.
- Coordinate a wide range of support organizations (e.g., trade and growers’ association) across a variety of sectors for their potential to contribute towards increasing their members’ sales and/or exports.
- Monitor technical assistance to target firms to improve their access to markets and build their trade competitiveness.
- Serve as the Activity’s technical resource, support and sometimes lead on agribusiness, agriculture and aquaculture trade promotion and facilitation support.
Thematic Area 3: Private Sector Capacity Building
- Build the capacity of businesses to improve corporate governance, comply with regulations, and access finance.
- Initiate and coordinate interactions with various stakeholders involved in business advisory services (e.g., accountants, lawyers, consultants, lenders, certification firms, etc.).
- Design workshops, tools, trainings, or other knowledge products geared towards improving the ability of business support organizations to advocate for trade and investment.
- Promote corporate accountability by working with business journalists, business support organizations, civil society, and media.
- Serve as the Activity’s technical resource, support and sometimes lead on agribusiness, agriculture, and aquaculture private sector capacity building.
General Project Management Support (particularly in agribusiness, agriculture, and aquaculture)
- Manage and monitor project activities.
- Develop detailed terms of reference, scopes of work, and budgets for consultants.
- Develop yearly work plans and quarterly/annual reports. Supervise other Activity staff if required.
- Conduct research in support of Activity’s work with conclusions and recommendations.
- Maintain files and documentation for project activities.
- Other tasks as assigned.**Minimum Qualifications**
- BA/BS in Agribusiness, Agriculture, Economics, Business or a related field or relevant experience; Advanced degree in a related field is highly preferred.
- At least seven years of professional experience that demonstrates working knowledge of any or all of the following technical areas: technical assistance, investment, finance and accounting, trade promotion and facilitation, corporate governance, corporate finance, business journalism, and project management.
- Management experience highly preferred.
- Private sector experience highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of the private sector actors, particularly in agribusiness or aquaculture, in Myanmar, including SMEs, investors, financial lenders, business advisory services, business support organizations, media, etc.
- Competent business analytical and research skills (primary and secondary research).
- Ability to work efficiently and deliver high-quality deliverables within the time allocated.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and public speaking ability.
- Excellent personal organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- English and Burmese fluency is required.
- At least five years of working in or with the agribusiness, agriculture or aquaculture sectors.
- Ability and interest to travel within Myanmar as required.