Organization: FHI 360
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Executive Level (10 years)
Application Deadline: 30. April 2021
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Communications (MEL) Director for the USAID Tunisia Resilience and Community Empowerment Project, known as Ma3an (meaning “all together” in Arabic). Ma3an, which is in Year 3 of a 5 year project, works with Tunisia’s national and subnational government, civil society, and local communities to prevent and counter violent extremism. Ma3an supports 33 communities across Tunisia to build the capacity of youth, civil society, and local authorities to combine efforts to develop and implement local-led and context-specific activities. Ma3an works with local partners to identify local needs and introduces activities that scale up collective action and engage communities in sustaining local successes. Ma3an develops public-private partnerships that help individual communities respond to unique challenges and works with community stakeholders to develop their sense of ownership and commitment. These activities will build capacity in existing entities (e.g., schools, local organizations, public and private sector institutions) and enable them to carry forward activities long after the program ends.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Communications Director must be a qualified development professional with significant experience, background and education, and demonstrate a high level of technical skills required to complete the work detailed in PD below. The MEL and Communications Director must utilize his/her previous experience and skills working on relevant CVE/PVE and youth-related programming to introduce successful models for measuring activities that prevent/combat extremism. Previous MENA-related experience is a plus but not required.
The MEL Director leads the Ma3an MEL and Communications and Outreach Units. S/he provides high level guidance on MEL and communications, and leads the design and implementation of MEL systems. S/he will provide technical advice based on expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice (especially related to MEL for CVE activities), and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. S/he will be responsible for implementation of Ma3an’scomprehensive MEL plan with indicators, implementing systems to safeguard the collection, management, and quality of program data, reporting accurate indicator data to USAID, and collaborating with the project team in applying MEL findings to adapt and improve project activities. S/he will also oversee the implementation of the Ma3an Learning Agenda and CLA activities. S/he will directly manage the MEL Manager and Communications Manager, and will be responsible for the performance of the entire MEL team located in Tunis and the Ma3an regional offices and the Communications Team based in Tunis. S/he will train staff and partners and liaise with USAID on M&E reporting requirements, project learning strategies, and protocols for modifying the MEL plan. S/he will be responsible for providing hiqh quality and accurate MEL inputs in all quarterly and annual performance reports and project communications materials.
Essential Job Functions: Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate implementation of the project ME&L plan, as well as a Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) approach.
- Supervise and provide guidance to the MEL team, directly supervising the MEL Manager.
- Supervise and provide guidance to the Communications Team, directly supervising the Communications Manager.
- Ensure high quality written deliverables and communications products for USAID and external audiences.
- Supervise the effective implementation of data quality assurance systems for the project.
- Oversee the project’s management information system and database, ensuring that data is accurately uploaded into the system by staff and partners on a regular basis.
- Supervise and advise on the development of data collection tools and systems needed for the implementation of the project’s performance monitoring plan (PMP).
- Operationalize the PMP, including data collection and verification and prepare project performance and data reports as required.
- Ensure all relevant project staff are aware of and adhere to funder and government monitoring, evaluation and reporting guidelines and requirements.
- Ensure data collection tools and systems are being used correctly by staff and partners to collect required and accurate data for performance, monitoring and evaluation; coordinate with the home office to conduct internal data quality assessments and to address any issues identified.
- Identify MEL technical assistance (TA) needs of partners, facilities and/or government counterparts and provide/organize TA through training, mentorship, and/or on-site supervision.
- Oversee the implementation of the Ma3an Learning Agenda and CLA activities including regular “Let’s Talk Ma3an” sessions, pause and reflect meetings, and strategy review sessions.
- Participate in program monitoring visits/forums with other project staff as necessary.
- Ensure the utilization of monitoring data and learning in program implementation and advise the Senior Management Team of needed activity adaptations.
- Advise and promote best practices in data management and ME&L among project staff and partners.
- Coordinate closely with the USAID Monitoring and Evaluation for Tunisia and Libya project (METAL) project.
- Serve as a member of the Ma3an Senior Management Team and assist the Chief of Party with strategic and operational planning, including work planning, and ensuring project compliance with all contractual reporting requirements of USAID.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Chief of Party.
- Master’s degree in social science, statistics, evaluation science or other related field required;
- A minimum of 11 years’ relevant work experience, including at least 6 years professional experience managing monitoring and evaluation for complex development activities, especially those including, preventing and countering violent extremism, and/or youth and community engagement objectives;
- Proven capacity to manage teams effectively to ensure clear and compelling project communications, as well as ensure data quality and the delivery of MEL outputs;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with communities, civil society, local government representatives and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English as well as Arabic and/or French, both verbally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate monitoring, learning, and evaluation processes across multiple technical offices, local stakeholders and geographic regions; and
- Mastery of the design and implementation of qualitative and quantitative data collection methodologies and systems, and experience with CLA;
- Demonstrated data analysis and report writing skills;
- Ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities;
- Ideally, the candidate will have experience working on USAID or other donor programs and be familiar with USAID’s approach to MEL and CLA; and
- Written and spoken fluency in English. Proficiency in French or Arabic is preferred, however, substantial experience in CVE/PVE may be substituted for language proficiency