Organization: John Snow, Inc
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Application Deadline: 15. April 2021
PFSCM is a subsidiary of one of the leading international health consultancy organizations in the US — JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI). In addition to our project management headquarters in Washington D.C., in the U.S., and our operational facility in Woerden, in the Netherlands, we have access to 50 other JSI offices around the world.
Within PFSCM’s global structure, approximately 90 seconded staff members from more than 35 countries contribute to the impact achieved through PFSCM’s services. PFSCM’s diversity of thought and culture allows us to engage fully with our clients and each other. We believe we can achieve our mission by upholding our purpose- and results-driven cultural style. We do this by creating an environment where staff can demonstrate our cultural values of collaboration, learning, proactivity, problem solving, and outcome orientation on a daily basis.
The Laboratory Technical Advisor/Senior Laboratory Technical Advisor (LTA/SLTA) serves as a category specialist on laboratory equipment, reagents, consumables, and maintenance, medical equipment and devices, including rapid diagnostics required for HIV, Malaria, and Tuberculosis programs within the Strategic Supply Chain and Sourcing Unit and works collaboratively with Client Services, Logistics, Quality Assurance, and 4PL Services Units. The LTA/SLTA is the subject matter expert on technologies for HIV Viral Load (VL) and Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) as well as other diagnostics such as CD4, Hematology, and Biochemistry. The LTA/SLTA is expected to inform the development and implementation of policies, goals, systems, and procedures by gathering market intelligence.
The Laboratory Technical Advisor/Senior Laboratory Technical Advisor serves as a lead for strategic engagement with the Global Fund on the laboratory product category and works closely with internal staff across Units in supporting the sourcing and supply chain management through delivery of these public health commodities to principle recipients (PRs) worldwide. The Advisor/Senior Advisor is responsible to ensure complete and correct specifications of laboratory and medical equipment and associated consumables to ensure the PRs receive the quality-assured commodities they need, on time. The LTA/SLTA is expected to work in consultation with internal and external stakeholders and clients to enable the data driven procurement and supply chain management of laboratory and diagnostic services.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of PFSCM’s laboratory & diagnostics procurement and supply chain vision and strategy in collaboration with the PFSCM strategic procurement advisor, product quality assurance manager, and procurement and supply chain services managers.
- Develop and maintain the PFSCM e-catalogue of laboratory equipment, reagents, consumables, and maintenance with clearly defined product specifications (performance and operational characteristics) for accurate product selection and efficient procurement process.
- Support Client Services Unit to ensure that products selected by the PR are harmonized with relevant national policies and validated testing algorithms.
- Lead the development, implementation, and monitoring of guidelines and standard operating procedures necessary to maintain required conditions for the international, regional, or local procurement and delivery (including installation) of laboratory analyzers, reagents, and consumables from the vendor to the client in collaboration with the QA team.
- Develop the necessary laboratory knowledge and skills of staff in the PPM Project team in order to independently confirm specifications with PRs and to interface with vendors and freight services teams to source and deliver orders while maintaining product quality standards.
- Lead and coordinate the development of training materials and job aids for PFSCM Units, as necessary.
- Provide technical and operational support to client services & procurement specialists for unique orders requiring specific laboratory category expertise to ensure actionable orders of laboratory equipment and supplies that are in accordance with country program needs, optimized deployment strategy, and overall best value.
- Provide technical counterpart to client services & procurement specialists in the management of vendor relations, as needed.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all PRs on complex lab procurement needs that fall outside the PFSCM laboratory catalogue and require specialized technical knowledge and advice.
- Serve as PFSCM’s liaison with external stakeholders on technical working groups such as WHO, PEPFAR, TGF, and FIND. Attend international meetings as determined useful.
- Collaborate as required with the quality product assurance manager in resolving and preventing quality related issues throughout the supply chain, as related to laboratory commodities.
- Remain informed on innovations and advances in HIV, Malaria, and TB laboratory technology and trends in global public health that will influence the work of PFSCM in this area.
- Contribute to innovation and development of new services for procurement and supply chain management of lab & diagnostics products in limited resource settings.
- Provide short-term technical assistance to countries in the areas of product selection and sourcing of complex requests, laboratory commodities quantification, equipment maintenance strategies, or other areas as necessary.
Professional and Technical Knowledge
- Master’s Degree in Clinical or Medical Laboratory Technology.
- 5+ years’ experience in laboratory technology or virology, microbiology, biochemistry, and/or hematology.
- 3+ years’ experience working in clinical laboratory services including experience with tests, equipment, reagents, and techniques required for the diagnosis and monitoring of HIV, TB, Malaria, Sexually Transmitted Infections, and Hepatitis B and C essential, including rapid diagnostics.
- 3+ years’ experience liaising with equipment manufacturers or their representatives to manage instrument warranties, repairs, and maintenance contracts.
- Advanced computing skills in standard software systems and databases required.
- Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 25%, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States or The Netherlands.
Senior level includes preferred qualifications:
- Experience with product catalogue development.
- Experience working in laboratories in resource limited settings in Africa, Asia, or Latin America.
- Knowledge of global health programs for HIV, Malaria, and Tuberculosis.
- Knowledge of relevant donor logistics’ regulations.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills with strong sense of customer service. Fluency in English required; another business language preferred (French, Spanish, or Portuguese).
- Ability to prepare and deliver public presentations on laboratory and diagnostic product categories and related supply chain management.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with client relations experience and demonstrated ability to contribute within a global cross-unit functional team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills.
Priority Setting, Problem Solving, & Detail Orientation
- Able to work productively and produce deliverables according to an established work plan.
- Strong organization skills with an eye for details, ability to plan, prioritize, and implement long range strategies in a fast moving, dynamic, and time-bound environment.
Salary commensurate with experience.