Organization: World Organisation for Animal Health
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Early Career (1-2 years)
Application Deadline: 15. January 2021
The Publications Unit produces a range of publications, including books and periodicals, to disseminate information on its standards and on scientific knowledge throughout the world. These are produced in all of its three official languages (English, French and Spanish) or in English only, as deemed appropriate. The publishing process is overseen by the Unit, which is also responsible, among others, for the sales and marketing of OIE publications; and liaising with external organisations on copyright agreements and translations.
Positioning and reporting
Under the authority of the Deputy Director General, International Standards and Science and the direct supervision of the Head of the Publications Unit, and in close cooperation with other members of the Publications Unit.**
The editorial assistant will help the Head of the Unit to perform a range of administrative and editorial tasks necessary to the production of OIE publications. In addition, s/he will support the Head of the Publications Unit in all aspects of the administration, commissioning, planning and production of different publications. S/he will be involved in projects at all stages of the publication process, from conception to completion, from receiving submissions from authors through to preparing files for handover to printing and archival staff. S/he will help to ensure publications are delivered on time with the expected quality level.
Missions and activities
Provide administrative support
- Help to oversee the rollout of new publishing tools and resources;
- Liaise with coordinators/authors/referees/Managing Editor/Head of the Publications Unit/external consultants;
- Collaborate with OIE departments on publications;
- Transfer permission and copyright requests to the relevant people;
- Launch tenders for printing, and assess responses;
- Liaise internally and externally on the indexation and archiving of digital assets;
- Take minutes of meetings and draft reports;
- Manage purchase orders/estimates and tally against invoices.
Participate in the production of different publications
- Check proofs publications;
- Assist in the preparation of images and files for print;
- Publish documents online;
- Provide creative input, where appropriate.
- Assist the Head of the Publications Unit at the General Session of the World Assembly of Delegates of the OIE;
- Manage any other tasks as assigned by the Head of the Publications Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional and technical knowledge (Graduate OR equivalent to 3 to 4 years of studies) in publishing, English, languages or linguistics;
- At least 2 years of professional experience in publishing.
Additional experience (asset)
- Experience in WordPress, Mail Chimp, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop;
- Knowledge of reference management software (e.g. Endnote, Mendely, Zotero) and digital publishing tools (e.g. Polaris OS, ePub software).
- Ability to work in English at a high level;
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to summarise complex technical discussions in clear and concise reports;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Highly organised, with a proven ability to multitask and work to deadlines.
Additional technical skills (asset)
- Proficiency in a second OIE official language (French or Spanish);
- Proficiency in a third OIE official language (French or Spanish).
- Strong communication skills;
- Efficient and capable of working as part of a team;
- Ability to work across functions to find solutions;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Proactivity, and a results-oriented approach;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to meet specific deadlines;
- Keen sense of observation, attention to detail and accuracy.
The post is a full-time position based at the OIE Headquarters in Paris. It requires long hours in a seated position at a computer.
Base salary: Monthly base salary starting from 2 000€, plus benefits, exempt of French income tax.
Duration: 2 years (renewable)