Organization: International Organization for Migration
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Topic: Refugee Rights
Application Deadline: 17. June 2021
CIOP Communications Officer
Reporting directly to
Head of Labour Mobility & Human Development, IOM-Bahrain
Overall supervision by
Chief of Mission, IOM-Bahrain
Requirements for application
Submission of CV and Cover Letter
See application section below for further information**
*II. Organisational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration’s mission in Bahrain has been acting as the Management Site of an inter-regional initiative focusing on the design and management of tailored orientation programmes throughout the labour migration cycle. The ‘*Comprehensive Information & Orientation Programme’,* under the patronage of the Abu Dhabi Dialogue, supports Governments in holistically addressing the information needs of prospective and current migrant workers. This approach could contribute towards supporting well-informed decision-making, enhancing skills to effectively navigate work and life abroad as well as assist managing different components of departure and return.
IOM is establishing a Centre of Excellence, aimed to provide services, technical expertise and resources to serve IOM missions and stakeholders with the design, development and management of CIOPs. This Centre will be housed within the Labour Mobility & Human Development (LHD) Unit of IOM-Bahrain.
The CIOP Communications Officer will be responsible for ensuring that all CIOP knowledge products are in line with IOM brand guidelines and are fully responsive to the target audience. This will primary include professional copy-editing and proof-reading, as well as facilitating graphic design, data visualization and the production of audio-visual content such as e-learning courses and educational videos.
The CIOP Communications Officer will report directly to the Head of LHD in IOM-Bahrain and will be expected to work closely with other members of the Centre of Excellence, the Media and Communications Division as well as the Publication Department.
III. CONSULTANCY OBJECTIVE
The objective of this consultancy is to provide monthly reports outlining the progress made towards activities that ensure all CIOP knowledge products are in line with IOM brand guidelines and are fully responsive to the target audience.
IV. SCOPE OF WORK
The CIOP Communications Officer, with support from the CIOP Graphic Designer, will be responsible for ensuring that all CIOP products are in line with IOM and CIOP brand guidelines and are reader-friendly, taking into account learning needs and target audiences. The CIOP Communications Officer will copy-edit and proof-read all content in English and will facilitate the full graphic design and data visualization of different knowledge products. Additionally, s/he will be responsible for overseeing the production of all audio-visual content under CIOP such as e-learning courses and educational videos.
S/he will be responsible for the following:
Copy-editing and proof-reading content:**
· Professionally copy-edit and proof-read all English content of CIOP knowledge products to ensure alignment with IOM guidelines and quality assurance;
· Guide the tailoring of different knowledge products to be responsive to the needs of an array of different end-users (e.g. handouts for migrant workers, manuals for trainers and technical reports for government officials);
· Use gender-sensitive terminology;
Overseeing graphic design
· Work closely with the CIOP Research Specialist and CIOP Training & Capacity-Building Specialist to agree on requirements to ensure effective conveyance of textual content to different audiences*;*
· Support the CIOP Graphic Designer with the design, artwork and graphic elements, typesetting, data visualization and infographics of all CIOP knowledge products and training materials.
Facilitating production of audio-visual resources:
· Support the recruitment or procurement of service providers to produce any audio-visual material needed for CIOP, including e-learning courses and educational videos;
· Liaise with any service providers to ensure that final products are to the standard expected and in line with IOM and CIOP guidelines.
· Manage the content of the CIOP website;
· Drive CIOP content on different social media platforms to highlight the benefits of harmonized orientation.
· Coordinate regularly with the Media and Communications Division, Publications and the Online Communications Unit; Work closely with other members of the Centre of Excellence;
· Provide regular progress updates to the Head of LHD in IOM-Bahrain
V. DELIVERABLES AND SCHEDULE
The schedule of delivery is expected to be as follows:
Indicative time-frame for delivery
1st CIOP Communications Report
4 weeks from signing the contract
2nd CIOP Communications Report
8 weeks from signing the contract
3rd CIOP Communications Report
12 weeks from signing the contract
4th CIOP Communications Report
16 weeks from signing the contract
5th CIOP Communications Report
20 weeks from signing the contract
6th CIOP Communications Report
24 weeks from signing the contract
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organisational principles/rules and standards of conduct
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimise results
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organisation’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
VII. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree in a relevant disciple, such as mass communication, marketing, development studies or a related field;
· At least 3 years of professional experience with a proven record in copy-editing and proof reading publications, ideally on issues relating to sustainable development or migration.
· Prior experience with copy-editing and proof-reading with United Nations agencies is an asset;
· Background in facilitating graphic design processes and development of different audio-visual materials;
· Excellent writing and editing skills, with a proven ability to reframe language to make accessible and reader-friendly, in publishable quality;
· Meticulous and very attentive to detail;
· Good knowledge of online communications and new digital;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment;
· Ability to work under time pressure and deliver work of outstanding quality.
· Professional fluency in spoken and written English is required;
· Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset.
IX. CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Contracted consultants are not permitted to use any of his/her gathered data, reported findings, contributions to the draft and final reports to further his/her personal research.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CVs together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain (email@example.com) on or before 17 June 2021. Please write “Application to CIOP Communications Officer Vacancy” in the subject of your application email Applications received after this date will not be considered.