Organization: Appel de Genève/Geneva Call
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Topic: Human Rights
Application Deadline: 30. November 2020
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
The position is located in the Department of External Relations and Support Services, Finance Unit under the supervision of the Head of Finance.
The Department of External Relations and Support Services amongst other responsibilities, is responsible for the management of the financial resources made available to the organisation with a currently approved annual budget of approximately CHF 9.4 million.
The Department is committed to an ongoing change process to ensure the highest effectiveness and efficiency standards in budget preparation and presentation including the development of results-based budgeting.
Under the guidance of the Unit Head, the position holder will be responsible for the following duties:
- Analyses budget submissions, obtains clarifications and justifications.
- Prepares budget and budget performance reports for operations in cooperation with the regional units and field operations.
- Prepares financial implications of budget scenarios for the management of the organisation.
- Prepares budget allocations, staffing table authorisations and redeployments of funds.
- Analyses and monitors budget implementation.
- Administers and monitors all organisational budgets and controls expenses against approved budgets.
- Drafts official correspondence and background papers including briefings for senior management.
- Conducts research and prepares communication and presentations for the Board on budgetary issues.
- The incumbent may be requested to perform other related duties, including those related to management of the Office of the Director, support to the Director in the consideration of all matters requiring his/her attention; drafting of talking points, papers, briefing notes and special financing reports; undertaking research and analysis and providing assistance to the Director on budgetary aspects.
- Any other tasks being required by Unit Head or Director.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of budget development, including results-based budgeting, and the financial administration of resources. Ability to conceptualise and analyse financial principles and practices. Ability to provide authoritative advice to senior managers on strategic issues. Accepts additional responsibilities as required by the demands of the unit; strives for excellence in performance continually; remains composed while working effectively in stressful situations. Ability to use information technology effectively as a tool and resource; demonstrates substantive and technological knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence; is motivated and demonstrates a capacity to pursue personal development and learn. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit of team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
University degree in business administration or finance. An accounting qualification is considered an asset.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Experience with developing/implementing budgetary policies and practices, is required.
- Experience in preparing reports for governance bodies is required.
- Experience in the use of information technology tools for financial analysis and monitoring of budgets is required.
- Experience in preparing and drafting written reports is required.
- Experience in results-based approaches to budgeting is a strong asset.
- Experience with financial systems/finance modules or enterprise resource planning (ERP) is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Organisation, fluency in written and oral English is essential. Knowledge of French, Russian, Arabic and Spanish are advantageous.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Budget Officer
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: January 1st 2020