Organization: The White Helmets
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience: Mid Career (3-5 years)
Languages: English, French
Topic: Disaster Management
Application Deadline: 15. June 2021
Les Casques Blancs (CB) is a not-for-profit organisation registered in Quebec, Canada since 2017. It aims at promoting, developing and implementing community-based, service-based and recovery-oriented projects to improve the lives of civilians in conflict zones. It aims also to create resilience in order to participate in the empowerment of civilians to defend their own rights; assist vulnerable people, forced to be displaced by providing access to resources and regain their dignity.
Les Casques Blancs is a member of The White Helmets Group.
The White Helmets is a community-based civil defense organization founded in 2013 to provide emergency management services in areas of Syria where state-run services had collapsed following the outbreak of the conflict.
With support offices in Canada, Turkey, and Europe, the White Helmets operate in Syria in non-regime-controlled areas serving more than 4.5 million civilians. Formally known as Syria Civil Defense, we have a team of around 3,000 volunteers whose humanitarian work helps hundreds of communities prepare for, respond to & recover from violent attacks and natural disasters. Our mission is to protect lives and property as well as engaging communities to raise awareness, acting with both integrity and professionalism, while promoting justice in situations of war and peace, ultimately seeking to achieve high levels of sustainability and resilience for a safe and stable society. The WH have saved over 120k lives since 2013.
Our work has received unparalleled levels of recognition and support, becoming a symbol of humanity and inspiration in Syria and internationally.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Advocacy & Communication Officer (ACO) provides support to The White Helmets teams at the international level in developing, designing, and implementing advocacy campaigns that carry messages in service of the organization’s objectives with the aim of drawing attention to priority issues for the humanitarian workers.
With a special focus on the Syrian crisis, The Advocacy & communication Officer will work on building international alliances and advocate for justice, accountability, and the protection humanitarian workers. He/she coordinates with the various bodies of the United Nations, human rights organizations, and diplomatic missions.
Further, He/she will work to increase public, political and financial support to the White Helmets.
Job Title: Advocacy & Communication Officer (ACO)
Duty Station: Canada/ Montreal
Line Manager: Deputy General Manager
Line management responsibility: NA
Full/Part-Time: Full time
Tasks and Activities
- Develop and implement The White Helmets international advocacy strategies with a focus on identifying and following through on opportunities for The White Helmets work and voices to have an impact.
- Track and engage with the United Nations, governments, Parliaments, and other international key actors and NGOs to convey messages of The White Helmets and advocate for their cause.
- Join, develop, and maintain coalitions, working groups, and partnerships with a range of international professional associations, rescue worker networks and human rights organizations to advance The White Helmets international advocacy in support to justice, accountability, the protection of humanitarian workers worldwide.
- Build relationships with journalists to provide briefings, information and brief colleagues to speak to media.
- Attend or help other staff of The White Helmets to prepare for advocacy and coordination meetings
- Monitor and track policy developments, congressional and parliamentary news, and information services in matters related to the White Helmets activities and areas of intervention.
- Conduct desk research on a broad range of topics.
- Prepare, draft, edit, format, and distribute materials such as news releases, reports, letters, briefing papers, talking points, background research, congressional and parliamentary hearing questions, dispatches, web content, public letters and statements, op-eds and other publications.
- Assist with planning and executing special events, roundtables, trainings, and other events.
- Provide support to the White Helmets leadership in planning, coordinating, and follow up actions of advocacy trips and international engagements.
- Assist in fundraising activities.
Required Qualifications Education, Experience and Competencies.
- University studies/ Higher education in International Relations, Social and Political Sciences, Business Administration or related field.
- At least 3 years of proven professional experience in advocacy, policy, and research.
- Knowledge of or experience with European governments, and the US government including Congress, State Department, and/or other branches of government is required.
- Knowledge of or experience with International Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), human rights organizations, research and academic institutions.
- Knowledge of the Syrian context.
- Strong research and analytical skills with the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct research are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and independent judgment and discretion, as well as tact, diplomacy, and maturity in dealing with colleagues at all levels of the organization are required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally are required. Candidate must be a self-starter, able to think and plan ahead.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required. Interest in human rights, international relations, diplomacy, and/or policy is required.
- Cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills, and able to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff and stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French are required.
- Evidence of persuasive writing skills and/or policy writing is preferred. Arabic is desirable.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.